From Port City Makerspace
Machine: MAX NC
- Stepper Motors: 200 steps/rev
- Resolution: 0.0005”
- Construction is aluminium with T slots
- Same computer as the Fireball V90 CNC
- Build drawers into carts for bits and some shelves for materials.
- Create enclosure around machine to contain dust
- Add limit switches and enable them for XX-, XX+, and XX Home (and for Y and Z axes)
- Upgrade computer with one that can run VCarve Pro and other design software
- Examine machine. Clean off bearings if dirty. Vacuum up excessive wood particles. If keyboard is dusty be sure to vacuum it out or turn upside and shake.
- Turn on power strip
- Turn on computer
- Open Mach3 program on desktop with the MAX NC label (if it does not open automatically) to operate machine controls
- Open a Gcode file (various extensions are: .gcode, .txt, .gc, .ngc, and so on)
- Click on the red RESET button on the screen to enable the motion control. If it doesn't stop flashing, check that the big red button on the machine itself is raised and not pressed.
- Use the arrow keys to move the machine's axes to the desired start point on your material. Pay attention to where in the program your machine will start.
- Make sure your material is aligned and clamp it or tape it securely in place, making sure not to put anything in the path of the gantry
- Hit the “Zero” button for each axis to set the start point of the program to the machine's current position.