- This event has passed.
Cutting Board Workshop
January 12 @ 10:00 AM - January 13 @ 12:00 PM
This is a two-day workshop on how to make a cutting board! Sessions are on:
- Saturday 12th from 10am to 1pm
- Sunday 13th from 10am to 12pm
In this workshop, instructor Chris Straub will take you through the process of making your very own cutting board that you get to take home!
This class will involve the use of our Joiner, Planer, Table Saw, Router, and some clamps.
If you are not familiar with these tools, please watch the following tool safety videos:
Here is what the class will cover:
1) Milling the wood (3-4 types of wood)
- 1.1) Detail purpose of joiner & planer
- 1.2) Demonstrate use, safety procedure, and technique
- 1.3) 1:1 with every person
2) Designing what stripe pattern they want
3) Cutting strips on table saw
- 3.1) Demonstrate use, safety procedure, and technique
- 3.2) Have 3-4 set widths of strips to cut so not moving fence too much
4) Gluing and clamping
- 4.1) Discuss good gluing procedure and potential mistakes (clamping too many pieces and board bowing)
- 4.2) Wipe excess glue to make cleanup easier
5) Put pieces through planer
6) Route edges
- 6.1) Explain router’s purpose for edge shaping
- 6.2) Describe routers direction, how to move board, safety
7) Sand & Oil
- 7.1) Cover sandpaper grits and how to leave no marks using the orbital sander
- 7.2) Food Safe Oil
Instructor: Chris S
This class needs a minimum of 3 attendees to run.
Attendees should bring safety glasses and hearing protection if they have their own. We can provide some to those that don’t have their own.
This class is for ages 18 and up. For individuals under 18, please contact email@example.com before signing up.
Registration closes 3 days before event.
Attendees can receive refunds up to 7 days before your event start date.