- This event has passed.
Intro Machine Shop – Make a Candlestick
November 17, 2018 @ 11:00 AM - 5:00 PM
In this class participants will get experience using our machine tools, specifically the Bridgeport Milling Machine and the Southbend Lathe. Each participant will have an opportunity to do every step required to make a candlestick and base. There will be info graphics on blueprints and machining fundamentals included.
Here is an overview of what the class will cover:
- Machine Overview – Explaining why people need these machines and some examples of how these machines can be used other than a candlestick.
- History of Machines and their place in the factory
- Machine specific Safety
- Reading blueprints
- How to use an Indicator, Micrometer, and Calipers
- -Squaring a block
- -Understanding how to precisely move a bed
- -Drilling and Tapping a Hole procedure
- -Understanding speeds and feed rates of drills
- -Using Files and Dykem Layout fluid
- -Turning a Shaft
- – Drilling a Hole
- – Hand Threading an external thread using machine assist.
If a participant is interested in an advanced class, the instructor can do a private and discuss with them a specific project they have in mind.
Required gear: All clothing should be non-synthetic (cotton or canvas is recommended), Long pants, long sleeve shirt, boots or other closed toe shoes, hair-tie for long hair, light duty work gloves, safety glasses and hearing protection. We recommend you bring your own safety gear, but we have equipment on hand if you don’t have any.
Maximum class size is 5 people. Slots will be filled on first come basis, pre-registration and pre-payment is required. Instructor reserves the right to cancel class if fewer than three participants enroll. Minimum age for this class is 18.
The class is expected to last about 4-6 hours depending on the number of attendees.
Cost: $50 for current Members, $75 for Non-Member
Instructor: William Hardy
Registration closes 3 days before event.
Attendees can receive refunds up to 7 days before your event start date.