Volunteer Shop Managers
A Volunteer Shop Manager is a role in our Volunteer Program
Volunteer Shop Managers are a very important part of our volunteer crew and are responsible for one of the workshop spaces at Port City Makerspace.
You can apply to be one of our Volunteer Shop Managers through this google form: Volunteer Shop Manager Application.
Volunteer managers responsibilities include the following.
Any of these responsibilities, with the exception of management of funds and safety clearance checkouts (both of which can be performed only by woodshop manager/ General Manager), must be performed by the woodshop manager or otherwise assigned to deputy managers, assistants, volunteers, etc. Handling the funds allocated to their shop’s PEX card - exclusively the responsibility of woodshop manager and responsibility cannot be transferred to deputies, assistants, volunteers, etc.
Performing safety clearances/competency demonstrations with new/learning members at the schedule of the woodshop manager. - exclusively the responsibility of woodshop manager and responsibility cannot be transferred to deputies, assistants, volunteers, etc.
Volunteer Managers responsibilities include the following.
- Keep their shop clean and organized, maintaining a welcoming work environment for members
- Tool/equipment upkeep - repairs, replacements, maintenance
- Integrating new tools/equipment into the shop
- Organizing shop meetings at some regular interval (once a month suggested) where members and users of the shop discuss needs, comments, questions, and topics related to the shop.
- Scheduling and staff at least one introductory-level class per month
- Handling the funds allocated to their shop’s PEX card
- Making sure their shop has resources and either acquiring or requesting the resources
- Performing safety checkouts for new members requesting use of any equipment in their shop
Please keep in mind it is the shop manager’s responsibility to organize each of these responsibilities and see that they are completed on a regular, consistent basis. The shop manager does not necessarily have to perform these tasks on their own; instead, they can organize volunteers or helpers to assist with the completion of these tasks.
Volunteer managers can be removed or replaced at any time for any reason by the PCMS Board of Directors but will be removed from the program immediately if they fall below their agreed upon commitment without prior arrangement for vacation time.
As a Volunteer Shop Manager, you will have significant influence over the organization of your shop.
A name badge with your new title will be issued to you to wear proudly when performing your duties.
You will have a shop budget available to you in the form of a debit card, known as a PEX card. This money can be spent at your discretion to acquire resources for your shop.
You will get a complimentary upgrade from the regular membership level to our Maker's Guild 24/7 access level as a thanks for your dedication.
In specially granted situations members will be allowed to trade 8 hours per week for a “full ride” 24 hour membership. This exception should be based on a member’s inability to pay combined with an enthusiasm for the space.